Sunday 4 August 2013

Memories keep flooding my mind

The rain in Kampala takes me back to India. Lying on my bed, I found myself recalling scenes and events and realize that I wrote NOTHING of significance in my account of my travels. I really hope to make the time when I get back from Rwanda next Thursday. Today, I fly to Kigali for a job interview, so I need to focus on that. The rain had better stop before I head to the airport.
Three of several books purchased and read while in India. Top picks: White Tiger and The God of Small Things by Arundathi Roy.

Folk art panel purchased in Manali with original patina. Oil paint on wood, 60cm x 20cm
Buddhist Thankar (Tibetan), purchased in Manali, paint on cloth, 50 x 40

Day-old version of my Kovalam Chick Pea Salad (recipe below)

My recreation of a favourite beach snack that was sold in the evenings on the boardwalk of Kovalam Beach. Along with salted lime soda (lime juice, salt, soda water), I was happy to eat this as an evening meal...three snack portions was enough for a meal! Yummy. I was lucky to find the right spices here in Kampala. So, here it is:

(Portions can be adjusted)
Soak the chick peas overnight otherwise you will waste energy cooking them. Once soaked, bring them to a boil for an hour. Check for readiness; they should not be mushy. (Don't bother with the canned variety; they will not do the trick!)

Memories of Kovalam Beach

2 cups of cooked chick peas
Salt to taste
Diced green pepper
Diced onion
Diced green mango
Diced cucumber
Diced tomato
Finely chopped coriander
Chana Spice (Chick Pea Spice - available in most Indian spice shops)
Chaat Masala  (Punjabi Spices for Chick Pea Curry)

Toss together all the above ingredients, then sprinkle with fresh lime juice before serving. Tip: serve luke warm, if possible. Cold also works, but the warm version has tingle and tang. Try it.


 I bumped into the school chef while shopping and he told me to use Chole Masala, but I couldn't find it. The Chaat Masala worked just fine and my salad tasted like the one from Kovalam Beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment